Monday, May 28, 2012

Remembering . . . Memorial Day

I hope that all of our followers in the US have a happy, secure, and gratitude-filled Memorial Day. I hope that it's not just the start of summer, but a day when you reflect for at least a few moments on the freedoms we enjoy, and the sacrifices many have paid to ensure those freedoms.
Hope you will have time to click on this link to go to SewCalGal's blog and read her post on Memorial Day...


I searched and did not find an "official" lyric to the haunting tune we know as "Taps" but I did find this version that I found very touching:

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the hills, from the lake, from the skies.
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,
May the soldier or sailor, God keep.
On the land or the deep, safe in sleep.

Thanks and praise, for our days,
'Neath the sun, 'neath the stars, 'neath the sky,
As we go this we know, God is nigh.

I'll never forget the day my sweet dad-in-law was laid to rest. As the Air Force team stood at the grave, and the notes of Taps floated over the wind, many of the older men at the funeral stiffened to attention - some with great difficulty as their age and infirmities would not allow as full a salute as they wished. But they gave their best, and more than one gave a slight smile as the trumpet died away, as if to wish Godspeed to their buddy-in-arms on his final journey. 



In his honor and his memory I made some blocks and added them to the tremendous Quilts of Valor effort hosted by Marjorie, at the B-Quilts blog.  If you have time, and you have some red, white, and blue fabrics, won't you consider making some blocks? All of the particulars are there at Marjorie's blog, and your contribution will be so very much appreciated.


Your Bingo words for today are:
G--monkey
B--faith
O--fairy
B--whale
G--Alien
N--leaf (leaves)
I--umbrella
G--lime
B--leaf (leaves)
O--moon
In loving gratitude to all of our servicemen and women, past and present,

6 comments:

  1. I doubt there is a more touching ceremony than the military recognition at a funeral. There is seldom a dry eye. It is such a special honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget Taps at my father's funeral back in 2005. He was a twenty year Veteran and fought in both the Korean and Vietnam wars. That left a definite mark on him, but he tried to never let it affect his family. I miss him so much, but am so very proud of him, and so thankful he made it back from both of those horrific wars. It's a miracle really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful rememberance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your touching memory and beautiful patriotic quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing those lyrics. Nothing is sadder than hearing that played at a military funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those blocks are absolutely beautiful - and your story brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)