Friday, September 12, 2014

A big finish! (Couldn't have done it without my Aurifil!)

I'm channeling my inner Painter Smurf today . . .


Remember the Smurfs? No, no, I mean the very first Smurfs. The ones on TV on Saturday mornings! Painter Smurf would step back from his canvas each and every time that he finished a painting, and proclaim it his "masterpiece" -- the best one ever! (Of course, the next finish would also be proclaimed a masterpiece, too!)

I guess that is the way I feel every time I finish a quilting project. I know, right? You do that too?

I thought I would show all of you my latest finish. It only took two years. (Quit snickering at me.) It is going to hang on the wall of a loft apartment, so it was made with silk batting to make it very light. Aurifil thread was used throughout, since I hope this will be a treasured quilt for a long, long time!



I have not attained Quilt Photographer status yet, so you will have to forgive the amateur pictures at my photo shoot!


Here is a shot of the binding being applied -- I love, love the pop of the blue against that green border!


Speaking of the border, here is a closeup to show you the fabric...the lighting makes it look more gray here, but the shot above shows the true color.


The entire quilt was pieced with Aurifil thread, and I hand-quilted almost all of it using a lovely gray. Then I loaded up my machine with the Aurifil and made loops and wonky stars in the border....you will see why, later!



You can see the gray quilting better on the back side. See the star?


Now here is why I put in the stars:



Here is a photo showing both sides:


Here is the quilting from the reverse side (You can see why Aurifil is my fav thread for piecing AND for hand-quilting!):


I wanted some interest on the back, so I pieced a strip from my scraps to go all the way across:


This is the top edge, with a "D-shaped" hanging sleeve:


Oooooh, that's a nice shot!



 
 
So now you have seen my masterpiece! Two years in the making, and now it is hanging in a loft with twelve foot ceilings! And me? I'm happy dancing!
 
 
Love,
 
 



22 comments:

  1. Your quilt is gorgeous, Jacque. I can see why you would be doing a happy dance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Quilt! Your daughter must be thrilled. I love Aurifil thread, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors you used, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! I think you did a lovely photo shoot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gor-gee-us!!!! Great job! The best things in life are worth waiting for, aren't they? I never get tired of seeing the variety in the Swoon quilt design. It is worth the happy dance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful Jacque, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job on this. I love the label.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Honey, I've got UFOs older than you probably. No worries. They don't spoil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful! I love all the quilting...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And a well earned happy dance it is! I remember watching as each swoon block was made and presented. The quilt is certainly a beauty. That your quilting has special meaning too is a treasure. I know your daughter must be over the moon about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Swoon quilt, your colors are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your colour choice and two years is not long in the world if quilting. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally drooling. Absolutely beautiful. I'm not sure I can find the words to describe how beautiful, how special, so I'll simply share that your quilt label brought tears to my eyes. Heartwarming. Beautiful and a heartwarming treasure.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is gorgeous. I remember when you started it and can hardly believe that two years has gone by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a full year on and only made 3 blocks out of the nine - this looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is gorgeous! You did a beautiful job and it is indeed a masterpiece. I have no doubt that she loves it (and you) very much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing, beautiful, meaningful quilt for your daughter! I also remember swooning over each of your swoon blocks and am completely 'wowed' by your quilt. Love the stars and loops!!!..... and especially the quilt label. Your daughter will love this forever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am swooning over your swoon quilt. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy cow! You finished it!! I love the combination of hand and machine quilting, that exudes a level of patience I doubt I have, those small stitches! Lovely finish

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)