Monday, November 30, 2015

A Flair For Fabric - a book review

Picture this:

A quilter is seated in the center of a ring of bins, with varying colors of fabrics in each one. She pulls selections from the bins and holds them up with each other -- head cocked to one side, she checks them out, then squints her eyes to check the color "value" as she holds them. With increasing frustration (and fear of failure) she pulls and pulls and auditions fabrics . . . finally she (or he) flings them down, saying, "I just can't be sure!"




Has this ever happened to you? 

I know it has happened to me!
Sometimes I just agonize over choosing fabrics for a project. And I'd love some pointers on how to do a better job -- after all, I want that quilt to look just as beautiful when it's finished, as it looks in my head, when I'm planning it! (Grin)

The designers at Henry Glass are a talented bunch! And they are sharing some tips and know-how with all of us! (I won this book as part of a giveaway....here is the link to the post showing the lovely fabrics they sent me!)


"Secrets to mixing and matching fabrics with success" -- now doesn't that sound good to you?



Linda Lum DeBono got all the designers of Henry Glass Fabrics to help out with ideas, guidance, and lovely projects for all of us. The royalties from the book go to the Red Cross.


There are fifteen different (and I do mean different) projects in here, and you are sure to find something that cranks your tractor!




Here is a sample of the advice you will find in A Flair for Fabric:
"Too many people think of selecting fabrics as a daunting task. Most of us don't really think about the fact that we are all cultivating fabric and color combinations every day when we get dressed. Choosing the main pieces for an outfit is no different than selecting one or two key prints for a quilt. Accenting those choices with accessories that add a little splash of color or wearing a bold piece of jewelry to give your outfit a little sparkle is similar to adding a pop of color to be used sparingly in a quilt top." (Heather Mulder Peterson)


Here's another piece of advice that can help us:

"Want the emphasis to be on the blocks and shapes created where they come together? Contrast between fabrics is the key. Using mottled or nearly solid prints helps the other prints stand out." (Jacquelynne Steves)



The projects and photography in the book are just lovely:




One of the concepts in the book that I liked the best was "Deconstructing the Details," a recurring page that pictured one collection of fabrics and gave ideas on how to work with scraps from that group. Other fabrics were shown that could be added in, giving new life (and a whole new look) to the scraps. Since that is something that we all deal with (or are you saying that you don't have any scraps!) I thought it was one of the most helpful parts of the whole book!



I truly believe that this is a book that will be invaluable for quilters, whether rookies or veterans. I hope you will scoot over to Martingale and get a copy for yourself!

Love,





0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)